Adjusting your electric drum brakes
Usually electric drum brakes are found on camping trailers, cargo trailers or car haulers. They are activated using the electronic brake controller from the tow vehicle that engages the brakes when the brake pedal is pressed. It’s important to make adjustment to the brakes to ensure a good and safety ride.
Follow these steps:
- Decide on what wheel you will work on and block the others with chocks. Then use a floor jack to lift that part of the trailer and put it on jack stands.
- Look under the trailer and pry out the rubber access plug located on the backing plate. Use a flat head screwdriver.
- While rotating the wheel in a forward direction, insert a flat head screwdriver in the access hole and rotate the adjusting wheel in a clockwise direction until you feel pressure against the wheel because of the brakes.
- Now rotate the wheel in the opposite direction until the wheel rotates freely. Put back the pieces you removed, and take the car off the jack stands and on the ground.
- The same procedure applies to all the wheels.
|adjust brakes, adjustment plug, backing plates, brake chamber, electronic brake controller, emergency brake, manually adjust brakes, rear drum brake, wheel chock|