Learn to replace the drum brakes wheel cylinder
The wheel cylinder pushes the brake shoes on the drums causing friction to stop the car. The wheel cylinder has a dust boot that covers them and protects them. But with time this dust boot wears and starts to leak.
Follow these steps:
- Lift the rear part of the vehicle and place it on jack stands.
- Use a ratchet to loosen the lug nuts and remove the wheels.
- Remove the drum, by pulling it and taping it with a hammer.
- Now remove the brake line that goes into the rear of the wheel cylinder with a line wrench.
- Use the spring tool to turn the spring until it goes off the shoe.
- Unhook the upper return springs from the shoes with needle nosed pliers.
- Take away the tops of the shoes from the wheel cylinder.
- Now you have to remove the wheel cylinder and replace it. To do so, loosen the rear bolts and pull it hard with your hands. Now mount the new wheel cylinder. After that tighten the bolts hard.
- Connect the brake line with the new wheel cylinder.
- Now, put back all the parts you disconnected doing the reverse thing.
- The next step is to bleed the brakes to remove the air that got trapped inside.
- After that lower the car to the ground and reinstall the wheel. Tighten the lug nuts with the ratchet.