Replacing the Struts on an Audi A8
The front suspensions on an Audi A8 are called Macpherson struts and are composed of a shock absorber, the shock absorber housing, a coil spring, spring seats, dust cover and the upper strut mount. The role of the strut is to smooth the ride. When holes in the road start to be felt or the ride becomes bumpy, you should consider changing the strut.
Follow these steps:
- Open the car hood. If you have a factory stereo system installed you need to now the security code t reactivate the sound. Remove the negative cable from the battery to prevent the air bags from popping.
- Use a pair of wheel chocks behind the rear wheels. Use a car jack to raise the side of the car you will work on. Take off the wheel by loosening the lug nuts.
- On the wheels wells in the engine chamber use a socket and ratchet and remove the grommets and upper strut nuts. Also disconnect the brake hose bracket and ABS sensor wire from under the car.
- Again take the socket and ratchet to loosen the pinch bolt and nut located on the upper control arm, which you will remove from the wheel knuckle. When the pinch bolt goes through you must not pry open the slotted area. Use a socket and ratchet and remove the strut assembly.
- Place a spring compressor on the coil spring and tighten it enough to relieve the pressure from the spring cap. Using a socket and ratchet remove the center nut from the strut rod. Remove the spring cap, coil spring and spring seats from the strut. Place the coil spring on the new strut along with the new spring seats and spring cap.
- Place the center nut on the strut rod and tighten it. Take off the spring compressor form the coil spring. Install the strut on the Audi and mount the upper control arm with the wheel knuckle.
- Connect the ABS sensor wire to the strut. Attach the brake hose bracket to the strut and tighten the nut. Install the three upper strut nuts in the engine compartment and tighten them. Cover the nuts with grommets. Place the wheel on the Audi and tighten the lug nuts with the lug wrench.
Get down the car.
|car front suspension, coil spring, dust cover, replace struts, shock absorber, spring seats, upper strut mount|