Toyota pickup brake adjustment
The self adjusting brakes on the Toyota pickups wear down eventually and need manual adjustment so that you are sure you drive safely.
Follow these steps:
- Block the front wheels with some chocks while you disengage the safety brake.
- Lift the rear part of the car using a floor jack
- Now install the jack stands beneath the car and place it on them
- Take off the lug nuts and the wheels after
- You may need a hammer to strike the brake drums and get them down
- Before going on with removing the drums wash the brake shoes with some soapy water
- Turn the star-shaped self adjuster located under the wheel cylinder clockwise and reinstall the drums to the shoes.
- Put back the wheels, tighten the lug nuts by hand and lower the car off the stands. Engage the parking brake
- Fully tighten the lug nuts and take away the chocks
|adjust brakes, adjustment plug, backing plates, brake chamber, brake shoes, change the brake pads, emergency brake, manually adjust brakes, rear drum brake, wheel chock|