Ways of adjusting the trailer's brakes slack adjuster
It is essential to adjust the slack adjusters properly because they compensate for the brake linings wearing.
Follow these steps:
- First you have to raise the car on jack stands. Release the brake meaning push the air valves and lower the parking brake.
- Mark the spot where the push rod leaves the air camber with a piece of chalk.
- Measure the distance from the line to the chamber after you remove the rod. You need adjustment if there are more than 3 quarters of an inch.
- Turn the bolt on the slack adjuster. You should see the push rod extending to the air chamber. If it is pulling out you are rotating in the wrong direction. You stop tightening when you feel resistance on the drum.
- You must now leave a little distance between the drum and linings so loosen the slack adjuster not more than one half of a turn.
- Apply pressure to the system and the brakes to normal pressure. There should be one tenth of an inch between the linings and the drum.
|adjust brakes, adjustment plug, backing plates, brake chamber, brake shoes, change the brake pads, change the slack adjuster, emergency brake, manually adjust brakes, rear drum brake, wheel chock|